- Heat Selectively – To avoid paying for unused heat in rooms that aren’t regularly used, shut the doors and close the vents in those rooms.
- Trap the Sunlight – Open your curtains when you’ve got sunlight exposure, and then close them when the angle of the sun changes. This allows you to trap the solar heat inside your home.
- Plug up Holes – Seal up all holes near windows, doors and the chimney to help keep the heat in and the cold out.
- Digitize Your Heating System – Use a programmable digital thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature in your home according to your family’s schedule and habits.
- Maintain Your Heating System – Check for proper airflow throughout your heating system and clear any blockages that you find.
Your Turn: How do you keep warm when the weather’s cold? Ugly sweaters? Visualizing a beach? Share your best tips with us in the comments!